Keeping your dog clean and healthy coat is vital to being the responsible pet parents. Yet, occasionally, dogs develop skin diseases like fungal and bacterial skin that call for a more targeted treatment. Antifungal dog shampoos can be used to treat and prevent these infections.
What is the antifungal pet shampoo, how does it work, and what should pet owners look for when choosing one for their dogs and cats? These are all questions we’ll cover in this post from the Canvas Personalized.
What Are The Fungal Skin Infections in Dogs and How To Identify Them?
Fungal disease (yeast dermatitis or Malessezia dermatitis) is a fungal infection in dogs caused by the Malessezia pachydermatis fungus. An inflammatory skin condition called fungal dermatitis develops when the yeast that naturally lives in your dog’s ears, mucocutaneous regions, and skin overpopulates these areas. Dogs with this condition may develop ear infections, severe itching, and flaky or crusty skin (especially around the nails, skin folds, armpits, and anal area).
Fungal infections are less common than bacterial skin infections but can have just as severe consequences. The expansion of the fungi (yeast) already on and in your dog’s body can cause illnesses and interactions with other animals or the environment.
Symptoms of Fungal Infection in Dogs
These are common signs of fungal infection in dogs:
- Recurring or chronic ear infections (otitis externa)
- Symptoms include itching and redness.
- An unpleasant musty odor. It is also known as “elephant skin.”
- Cracked, flaky, or crusty skin
Causes of Fungal Infections in Dog’s Skin
Typically, the many species of fungus and bacteria that dwell on the skin are controlled by the immune system and do not cause any problems. Fungal infections can happen, though, if the skin condition gets worse or if the immune system is weakened.
Deficiencies in the immune system and excess oil on the skin are two typical causes of yeast infections. But unless the underlying allergy or skin issue is treated, the yeast infection will likely return. Certain breeds, such as the Chihuahua, Australian Terrier, and Dachshund, may be genetically susceptible to yeast infections.
Moreover, a dog’s excessive licking, chewing, or scratching can irritate the skin and start a vicious cycle. These symptoms may appear if your dog is allergic to something, like the environment, food, medicine, or fleas. For example, a food allergy problem might cause your dog to lick, chew, and scratch his skin, which can spread an illness.
Dogs skin fungal infections treatments
Skin fungus infections in dogs can go undiagnosed for a long time because the itching and scratching associated with them are sometimes attributed to other causes, such as dry skin or flea bites. Generally speaking, antibiotics and antifungal shampoos or ear ointments may be used in treatment.
Diagnosing and treating fungal dermatitis can be time-consuming. The outcome will depend on how successfully pet parents complete the basic dog care process, such as how well pet owners groom your dog, how to trim dog nails, or how to prepare healthy dog foods to eat daily.
Although severe skin allergies in dogs often result in recurring bouts of yeast or bacterial skin infections, sometimes multiple times a year, If so, ask your dog’s veterinarian to assist pet owners in creating a proper treatment plan to help alleviate the symptoms.
>>>Check out our best dog care tips to make your dog live healthier and happier!
10 Best Antifungal Dog Shampoo Ideas
1. Best Overall: Veterinary formula clinical care antiseptic antifungal shampoo for dogs
The veterinary formula clinical care antiseptic and dog antifungal shampoo contains aloe vera, benzethonium chloride, and ketoconazole to calm irritated skin and eliminate odors caused by bacterial and fungal illnesses. This gently medicated pet shampoo hydrates and heals the skin while treating various skin issues.
Use twice weekly until skin conditions improve, then once weekly for maintenance. It has safely treated bacterial pyoderma and allergic or fungal dermatitis without removing topical spot-on flea and tick treatments.
What we like:
- It is free of parabens and soap, making it suitable for pets over the age of 12 weeks.
- A balanced pH is ideal for dogs and cats.
- Fast-acting: This veterinary formula shampoo helps relieve symptoms, including redness, malodorous discharge from lesions, itchiness, pimples, hair loss, greasiness, and scaly skin.
- Effective and affordable.
2. Best Cleansing Antifungal Dog Shampoos: Pet MD Antifungal Medicated Dog Shampoo
The medicated dog shampoo from Pet MD are guaranteed to treat and prevent fungal and bacterial infections in most dogs. Their powerful ingredients are effective against various bacteria, yeast, and fungi that cause pet skin infections. Several pet parents stated that shampoo is more effective and cheaper than others.
Use as needed on your dog by lathering it up, working it into the short coats, then rinsing.
What we like:
- Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% and ketoconazole 1% are the active components, making it ideal for treating various skin conditions, from dryness to minor wounds.
- It helps reduce the redness and irritation of eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and other skin disorders.
- Aids in the healing of minor scrapes, abrasions, and insect bites.
- No parabens or soaps.
- A more affordable medicated shampoo option.
3. Best Deodorizing Antifungal Dog Shampoo: Jungle Pet Antiseptic And Antifungal Medicated
A shampoo with veterinary formula specifically for treating dogs’ skin infections caused by fungi or bacteria, such as hotspots, ringworm, itching, and irritation. Because of its astringent qualities, the affected area is quickly dried off. This best antifungal dog shampoo offers a refreshing cucumber melon smell and a thorough cleansing for skin and coat.
What we love:
- The aloe and oatmeal shampoo offers a soap-free and hypoallergenic solution, making it ideal for dogs of all ages, and it will not remove flea and tick treatments.
- Natural ingredients for soothing relief while rejuvenating the skin and providing vital nutrients and active ingredients.
- Beyond relieving dry, itchy skin, it also helps leave the coat and fur clean, shiny, and silky smooth. Oatmeal helps treat hot spots and other skin issues because of the active ingredients it contains. Aloe vera gel is an effective remedy for dry, irritated skin when applied topically.
- Fresh and clean scent: the great-smelling aloe and oatmeal infused with pina colada scent will leave your pet with a super soft, easy-to-brush coat that smells wonderfully clean and fresh.
4. Best Affordable: Alpha Paw Antifungal Antibacterial Shampoo for Dogs
The best way to treat hot spots, ringworm, and other skin problems are with a cheap and best antifungal dog shampoo that works well. The Alpha Paw antibacterial & antifungal medicated dog shampoo can help relieve your pet’s skin issues so he can live a more comfortable life. Moreover, this mild shampoo can immediately reduce your dog’s diseased, swollen, itchy, or irritated skin.
You can rest assured that your furry friend will be clean, healthy, and comfortable thanks to the fact that this shampoo treats skin and coat diseases such as hot spots, ringworms, mange, pyoderma, yeast, fungal, and bacterial infections.
What we like:
- Chlorhexidine and ketoconazole are essential chemicals in the fight against bacteria, fungus, and yeast infections.
- The shampoo contains soothing aloe, soothes your pet’s itchy skin, and speeds up recovery between baths.
- It contains hydrating aloe, which aids skin restoration and minimizes itching between applications.
- Hot spots, ringworms, manage, and pyoderma are some skin diseases that can be treated while deodorizing your furry friend.
5. Best Gel-Based: Dechra Malaket Antifungal Dog Shampoo
An effective gel solution to eliminate all traces of fungal diseases on the pet’s skin. The active chemicals in this gel-based solution clean skin thoroughly and efficiently, focusing on eliminating yeast and fungal infections. In addition to curing your skin of bacteria, this best antifungal dog shampoo works wonders on a current ailment.
What we like:
- These gel-based antifungal dog shampoos are simple to use.
- Feature antifungal, antibacterial, deodorizing, and degreasing properties, making your pet smell great.
- Including chlorhexidine in a 2-percent shampoo can kill gram-positive and gram-negative germs on the skin.
- Excellent value for money.
6. Best flea and tick oatmeal dog shampoo: Sentry Flea and Tick Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Cleaning, deodorizing, and soothing itchy, irritated skin are benefits of Sentry Flea and Tick of the best antifungal dog shampoo, which includes potent chemicals to destroy adult fleas and ticks. The treatment can kill fleas and ticks for up to ten days.
What we like:
- Shampoo with a pH balance cleans and deodorizes your dog’s coat while conditioning the hair. This best antifungal dog shampoo is a lifesaver for dogs, including puppies, is ideal for dogs at least 12 weeks of age.
- The conditioning mixture with oatmeal is perfect for most dogs because it protects them from harmful insects.
- Great Hawaiian oatmeal and the ginger scent will rid your dog or puppy of fleas.
- Long-lasting (up to 10 days) flea and tick control.
- Eliminates ticks, which are potential Lyme disease vectors.
7. Best dog shampoo for skin allergies: 4-Legger Organic, Hypoallergenic, Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo
These 4-Legger organic dog antifungal shampoos are effective solutions because all-natural active ingredients hydrate and skin condition with skin allergies, relieving their redness and itching. The lemongrass flea and tick shampoo is free of synthetic components and effective against fleas and ticks of all life stages, including puppies and adult dogs.
What we like:
- All-natural ingredient: 4 Legger’s organic dog shampoo is made exclusively from active ingredients and produced in small quantities using only plants. Soothing aloe vera and lemongrass essential oils will ensure your dog gets cleaned correctly. Perfect for you, your dog, or your cat.
- This natural cleanser doesn’t remove the natural oils from skin conditions because it contains essential oils.
- Lemongrass is a natural skin condition for dogs. It has been found that the antibacterial, antifungal, and pest-deterrent qualities of lemongrass can help alleviate symptoms brought on by yeast, fungus, and bacteria.
- Because there are no synthetic preservatives, thickeners, detergents, parabens, sulfates, or sulfite, lathering and rinsing are simple.
- This biodegradable, non-GMO shampoo is produced from renewable resources and has no harmful chemicals.
- Perfect choice for eco-conscious pet owners.
8. Premium Choice: KetoChlor Medicated Shampoos For Dogs
The product effectively treats skin diseases in your dog or cat. It’s more expensive than the other best antifungal shampoo for dogs because it’s a high-end medicated shampoo. KetoChlor is an effective and non-toxic way to treat bacterial infections in your pet because it has antiseptic properties that can combat bacterial infections of the skin.
What we like:
- 1% ketoconazole and 2.3% chlorhexidine gluconate treat fungus and yeast skin infections. This shampoo has a low-lather formula, so it rinses off quickly and leaves behind a fresh fragrance.
- Disrupting the colonization of skin microorganisms is how it works, postponing the itchiness that bacteria or yeast on the skin might produce.
- It removes odors and dirt and lathers very little so that it can be rinsed off quickly.
9. BEXLEY LABS Curaseb
If you’re looking for a medicated shampoo for your dog or cat, go no further than Curaseb. The only functional component is chlorhexidine. Curaseb can benefit your entire family by using a veterinarian-approved combination to treat skin fungal and bacterial diseases. Veterinarians have deemed it safe for dogs and cats of all ages, from newborns to seniors.
What we like:
- Including the skin and coat nutrients: aloe vera and vitamin E are two such active ingredients. They work together to reduce inflammation and redness while hydrating skin and fur. In addition to cleansing and deodorizing
- Ideal for dandruff, skin infections, seborrhea, dermatitis, and itching and scaling caused by follicular plugging.
- Include benzoyl peroxide, micronized sulfur, and salicylic acid to thoroughly clean and eliminate grease and oils.
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free bar soap
10. PetHonesty Antibacterial & Antifungal Dog Shampoos
PetHonesty dog antifungal shampoo is committed to producing genuine goods that contain key ingredients for your dog. This shampoo is veterinarian-approved and can cure skin infections and remove odors. It has a subtle cucumber melon aroma and disrupts bacterial populations.
What we like:
- Two key ingredients, chlorhexidine at a 2% concentration and ketoconazole at a 1% concentration, will help your dog’s skin problems safely and effectively.
- A hint of cucumber melon fights odors on the skin. It also aids in detangling fur and managing skin conditions thanks to the essential tea tree oil it contains.
- Ideal for shedding, seasonal allergies, skin infections, itching, and dandruff, this mild cleanser is safe enough for daily use. Excellent for delicate skin irritation!
- The high-quality, deep-cleansing qualities of the shampoo get rid of filth and knots while the ingredients soften and moisturize the skin, leaving behind a lustrous, luxuriant, and silky coat.
- Handle that is simple to pump.
What To Look For The Best Antifungal Shampoo For Dogs
It’s important to consider these essential things below before buying best antifungal dog shampoo so you know it contains all the features you’re looking for:
- Vet-approved formulation
Miconazole or ketoconazole are two examples of active antifungal chemicals that should be present in dog antifungal shampoos. The chlorhexidine in it may also have antibacterial properties that are effective against germs. It would be best to choose a product that contains natural ingredients for soothing and healing your dog’s skin.
- Balanced pH
Check chosen the best antifungal shampoo for dogs to see if they have achieved a neutral pH. Since the dog’s skin is extremely delicate and has a higher pH level than human skin, its shampoo must be mild and pH neutral.
- Soothing Ingredients
Along with the antifungals, the shampoo should have soothing natural ingredients like aloe vera, buttermilk, shea butter, coconut oil, or honey.
- No Toxic Substances
Consider selecting a dog antifungal shampoo formulation that hasn’t been tainted with artificial preservatives or harmful chemicals like parabens, soaps, sulfates, phthalates, DEA, or MEA (dyes, fragrances).
- Deep Cleansing
For effective treatment of diseased areas, the antifungal shampoos for puppy must have a high level of cleansing power (including skin folds).
- Ease of Use
All you need is the best antifungal shampoo for dogs that lathers well and comes in a bottle you can hold with one hand.
You can choose between scented and unscented dog antifungal shampoo. Choose the best option that fits you and your dog, mainly if you use the product frequently.
Never decide without first researching the brand. Ideally, the brand should be transparent and located in the USA. It’s wise to check out feedback given by existing clients.
Maintaining your dog’s coat clean and healthy with the best antifungal dog shampoos is a great way to cure and prevent fungal diseases. Choose an antifungal shampoo works well for your dog after carefully considering the shampoo’s active components, fragrance, and other aspects discussed in this article on the Canvas Personalized. Hence, the correct choice will help you keep your dog’s coat looking and feeling terrific.