Responsible pet owners know how important it is to feed their pets a healthy, balanced diet with enough protein. However, there are times when dogs need to eat a low-protein diet. Due to certain medical disorders or special dietary needs, finding the finest dog food with a low protein level can be difficult. This Canvas Personalized post intends to help with that difficulty by providing a detailed list of the 19 best low protein dog food in 2023.
What Is Low Protein Dog Food?
Low-protein dog food isn’t defined in any “official” way. However, food with less protein than the AAFCO recommendations suggest can legitimately be referred to as a “low-protein” food.
According to the AAFCO standards, adult dog diets must provide at least 18% protein on a dry matter basis. A minimum protein level of 22.5% should be present in meals intended for puppies and females actively trying to conceive.
All of this suggests that foods with a protein composition of less than 18% should be considered “low protein.” We will also list a few food options that are close to the lower limit of the AAFCO recommendations because there aren’t many dog foods that are really low in protein (the majority are positively bursting with it).
17 Best Low Protein Diet For Dogs In 2023
1. Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Dry Dog Food with Kidney Support
Calm your dog’s rumbling stomach with Blue Buffalo’s Natural Veterinarian Diet Dry Dog Food. The premium chicken used in this dry food formulation ensures a high protein content. It also includes extra vitamins and minerals and restricted amounts of sodium and phosphorus to support kidney health. Furthermore, it is devoid of maize, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, preservatives, and chicken and poultry by-product meal. The tempting flavor will have even the pickiest dog licking her bowl clean.
- No fillers, binders, MSG, corn syrup, or lecithin from soybeans
- Including antioxidant-rich blueberries, cranberries, and more
- Omega-3 fatty acid-rich
- Low phosphorus content
- Protein content at 13.64% (DM)
2. Royal Canin Renal Support
Your dog will get the nourishment he needs without stressing his kidneys thanks to Royal Canin Renal Support. This premium dog food is prepared with a lower phosphorus level to assist in avoiding stressing your pet’s kidneys, and it is made with added flavoring to encourage eating.
- Temptation-inducing flavor combination
- Lack of phosphorous
- Effective source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Protein content (15.5%) in the dry weight of the meat
3. Hill’s Prescription Diet
This low protein dog food from Hill’s Prescription Diet may be just what your furry buddy needs if he or she suffers from kidney problems. This American-made product boasts one of the lowest protein levels we’ve identified, along with low phosphorus and a high omega-3 fatty acid content, all of which are beneficial in reducing inflammation.
- Lacking in sodium and phosphorus
- Supplemental Omega-3s
- The ActivBiome+ technology promotes a balanced microbiome and healthy gut flora.
- The prebiotic combinations promote gut health and regular bowel motions.
- Minimum Protein Content in Dry Material: 12.0%
4. FirstMate Limited-Ingredient Weight-Control Formula for Senior Dogs
Low-fat and high-protein FirstMate Weight Control Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is ideal for dogs with unique dietary requirements. Diet with few ingredients that include whole potatoes and a single beef protein for flavor and digestion! The possibility of chicken allergies is eliminated by using chicken fat that has undergone protein-free processing.
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Suitable for puppies with specific needs
- Improves skin and coat health.
- Benefits their joints
5. Solid Gold Holistique Blendz Sensitive Stomach Dog Food
Bring back your dog’s former glory with this energizing, nutrient-rich mix that provides precisely measured amounts of minerals including calcium, phosphorus, and salt. This recipe is made with a delicious and fulfilling combination of gut health and overall immune support—one that will keep them happy and smart into their senior years! It is made with a healthy balance of ocean fish meal and a special blend of functional superfoods. In addition, these low protein dog treats have a tasty flavor that your dog will adore.
- Improves digestion with fiber-rich probiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals from the unique superfood blend.
- Good for those with weak stomachs
- Recipe without grains
- Contains seafood from the ocean
6. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food
There aren’t a lot of different ingredients in Blue Buffalo’s Basics Diet. Grain-Free Formula is ideal for grain-intolerant adult dogs. This recipe features pumpkin, easily digestible carbs like potatoes and peas, and lean turkey as the sole animal protein source. There is zero grain, zero dairy, zero eggs, zero soy, and zero additives of any kind.
- Ideal for dogs with food sensitivities.
- Protein source with potatoes, peas, and pumpkin
- Free of any fillers, by-products, maize, wheat, or soy.
7. Kidney Function Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan NF dog food is excellent for canines with renal system problems since it takes a three-pronged approach to kidney care. This dog chow is perfect for some four-legged friends because it is made with low protein content, low phosphorus levels, and reduced sodium content, all of which require a vet’s prescription.
- Requires a doctor’s note
- Created by animal experts and food scientists
- Less salt, protein, and phosphorus
- Useful as an antioxidant food source.
- Protein Content (in the Dry State): 12.5%
8. Nutro Ultra Weight Management Dry Dog Food
Canine obesity is associated with various health issues, including diabetes and joint pain. Too chubby dogs are at increased risk for conditions like diabetes, arthritis, and cardiovascular disease.
Your dog can lose weight safely and healthily with the aid of Nutro Ultra Weight Management Dry Dog Food. Vitamins and minerals, as well as high-quality protein from real chicken, are included in this dish.
- Designed specifically for older dogs with excess weight
- It aids in maintaining a healthy weight
- Contains actual chicken, not chicken by-products.
- Healthy and scrumptious
9. Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Dry Dog Food
High-protein dog food is common, but it may not necessarily be beneficial for your dog. Protein is essential for a dog’s health, but giving them too much at once might be dangerous.
Nutrition for Large Dogs by Gentle Giants Dry dog food is a balanced, nutrient-rich option for your pet that is low in protein. Veterinarian-formulated and made from the finest all-natural components, it comes highly recommended.
- A healthy and well-balanced dish that vets suggest
- Produced with only the finest, non-GMO materials
- Contains chicken from a farm, along with brown rice and barley
- Contains eight different types of healthy produce
- Appropriate for any age
10. Natural Balance Dry Dog Food by L.I.D
Here, we provide a premium option that is low in protein. Natural Balance is well-liked since its products are simple to absorb and include few ingredients. Since this is a high-end option, it is not necessarily recommended for those on a tighter budget.
- Top-Notch Flavour
- First-rate protein
- Mineral and vitamin-rich diet
- Minimal ingredients for dogs with sensitivities
11. AvoDerm Weight Support Dry Dog Food
AvoDerm, the manufacturer of this item, uses premium avocados in its formulations. While it’s best to avoid feeding your dog a whole avocado, even a small amount will improve his skin, coat, and overall well-being. It’s not great that they use natural flavoring in this product. The formula relies largely on rice because it is the second, third, and fourth ingredient.
- Original Recipe for Chicken Meal with Brown Rice
- Rich in healthy fats from avocados and avocado oil
- No animal by-products, no synthetic additives, and no preservatives
- The first components in this recipe are premium proteins
12. Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health Miracle Dog Food
Protein, fat, and oil levels are not specified because they will change depending on how the item is prepared. However, including components like sweet potatoes and carrots, as well as lucerne and kelp, adds vital elements like vitamin E and folic acid for general health. The calcium-to-phosphorus ratio is optimal for maintaining healthy kidneys.
- Optimal ratio of calcium to phosphorus
- No Chemical flavors, colors, or Preservatives
- Made with nutritious grains, organic proteins, fruits, and veggies
- Rich in vital minerals and vitamins
13. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food
We’re proud to include another product from the reputable Nutro brand among our top picks. That’s how good they are at what they do. Chicken from a farm is the first and second ingredient in this dish. There is 22% protein in total.
Although the use of natural flavoring in this recipe is disappointing, it, like the other goods featured in this guide, receives high marks from buyers.
- Made with non-GMO ingredients; contains no maize, wheat, or soy
- Supports healthy weight loss with a specially formulated protein and fiber blend
- Contains antioxidants and natural fiber to boost immunity and digestion
- Total 22% protein
14. Canidae Grain-Free Pure Petite
Are you looking for great low protein dog food for your puppies? Canidae’s Grain-Free Pure Petite is another limited-ingredient meal that can help dogs that are sensitive to other foods. Dogs that are picky eaters may be persuaded to try this meal since it combines the LID diet with a freeze-dried beef coating on the kibble.
- Ideal for finicky toys and tiny breed dogs
- 100% meat, never wheat, corn, or soy, is used in our grain-free dry dog food
- Fatty acids omega 6 and 3 promote healthy skin and hair
15. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
Holistic Select Natural Pet Food, a trusted brand in the pet food industry, makes it. They’ve developed a special formula to help your dog overcome health problems like kidney disease by providing him with a well-rounded diet. Chicken is the primary protein source, with additional foods, including peas, lentils, and potatoes, rounding out the grain-free mix. In addition, it’s marketed as a healthy option for those trying to cut calories.
- Offers a whole foods alternative
- Aids with digestion and lessens gas and bloating.
- It can aid in weight loss in dogs
16. Purina ONE +Plus Weight Control Canned Food for Dogs
Healthy Weight Adult Purina ONE +Plus Tender Cuts in Gravy Real lamb and brown rice, two ingredients most dogs adore, go into the Wellness Canned Dog Food Lamb and Brown Rice Entree production. The antioxidant levels of zinc, selenium, and vitamins A and E in this 100% complete wet dog food are double the minimum requirements. The low protein content (only 10%) makes it ideal for dogs with certain dietary needs.
All sizes and types of dogs can eat this cheap dog food without any adverse effects. Due to the presence of chicken broth, however, it is not recommended for dogs that are allergic to chicken.
- Authentic lamb was used
- Contains twice the daily value of vitamin E, vitamin A, zinc, and selenium antioxidants
- A fully balanced diet for adult dogs
- The highly appealing and readily digestible formula promotes the health of your pet for life
>>> Read more: Can Dogs Eat Meatballs? A Comprehensive Guide In 2023
17. Iams Proactive Health MiniChunks
Its creation and formulation are the responsibility of Iams, a well-known brand that Spectrum Brands and Mars Inc. Worldwide own. The chicken in the recipe is real chicken from a farm, so your dog will get high-quality protein. No soy, wheat, or additives of any kind were used in its production. Chicken, oats, and beetroot pulp work together to improve stamina and digestion.
Customers say it effectively reduces dog fat; therefore, it’s a good choice for overweight pets. Most dogs appear to enjoy it, so it must taste excellent. In addition, it gives their coat a shiny appearance. It is, however, more expensive than usual.
- Strengthens and tones muscles with chicken and egg protein.
- Provides the heart with seven necessary nutrients.
- Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and fur
- Formulated with L-carnitine to support a healthy metabolism and fat burning.
Which Dogs Should Avoid a Low Protein Diet?
Obviously, dogs with certain health issues benefit from a low-protein diet. However, some dogs, such as those with certain health issues, should never have a low protein diet.
Growing puppies and pregnant or nursing dogs should not be fed a low protein diet. This is because their nutritional needs, particularly for proteins, are high during growth and reproduction, and restricting their protein intake could result in stunted growth and malnutrition.
It’s recommended to avoid it if your dog doesn’t have one of the medical problems that call for a low-protein diet. According to Brooks, low-protein meals should generally only be given to dogs with a medical need. A healthy adult dog shouldn’t be offered a low-protein diet because it may disrupt their nutrient balance.
>>> Recommended reading:
- Best 20+ Healthy Foods For Dogs You Can Find In The Kitchen
- 4 Easy Spent Grain Dog Treats With Easy-To-Follow Guides
- Are Eggs Good For Dogs? We Got All The Answers
Dogs with kidney problems or other health issues greatly benefit from eating low-protein dog chow. Nutritional stability, high-quality ingredients, and advice from your vet should all go into your final decision. We hope the aforementioned top 19 low-protein dog food are formulated to meet your nutritional requirements, guaranteeing that your canine companions have happy, healthy lives.